By Anisa Palmer
May is a memorable month. Although we should celebrate and honor our mother’s everyday, we celebrated Mother’s Day on Sunday May 12. Towards the end of the month (Monday May 27), we will celebrate Memorial Day, which is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, living or dead.
The most important thing I admire about May is spring. The astronomical spring (Northern Hemisphere) for 2013 began on Wednesday, March 20 and ends on Thursday, June 20. May is the perfect month because it is not the beginning of spring with all the uncontrollable amount of pollen, which we do have a lot of in Atlanta, Georgia. May is also perfect because it is not the uncontrollable humid hot months that made Atlanta famous for the nickname “Hot-lanta” in the summer time. Robin Williams says it best, “spring is nature’s way of saying, “Let’s party!””
When we “Spring into May” and “Party” let us not forget about our mental, physical, and spiritual health. If there are people in your life causing you stress, let them go. It is okay to love yourself for your health. Celebrate the supporters around you that help build your health and keep your stress levels down. During this beautiful month our amazing Creator invented, please let us remember to let the rain showers wash away the negativity in our lives so we can survive.
If you have a hard time finding ways to relieve stress- here is a small list that can help.
- Create a new recipe.
- Learn to cook.
- Dive into a good book.
- Write a book/poem.
- Start a journal.
- Listen to music.
- Dance as if no one is watching.
- Join a fun safe meetup group. (Meetup.com)
- Take a vacation.
- Start a new workout plan.
- Learn yoga.
- Start a garden.
- Join a choir or spiritual group in your religion.
- Plan a spa day. (If you are diagnosed with breast cancer, I Will Survive will book for you.)
- Book a massage. (If you are diagnosed with breast cancer, I Will Survive will book for you.)
Enjoy May and please remember:
1. Treat people with kindness, you never know if you will be the one to help cause the spread of a malignant tumor. Share a smile instead.
2. Anger, un-forgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit.
3. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor.